- Must be a 501(c)(3) public charity organization as defined by the IRS or a governmental unit as described in 170(c)(1) of the IRS code.
- Must be located within the United States, Canada, Mexico, or the British Isles.
- Sanctuary organizations for captive animals must be accredited or verified by the Global Federation of Animal Sanctuaries.
- National Register Status may be required for proposals pertaining to historic preservation.
The Summerlee Foundation observes the philosophy of best practices and DOES NOT award grant support in the following categories:
- To individuals
- For religious purposes
- For monuments and memorials
- For courthouse restoration
- For lobbying efforts
- To organizations that do not share the mission of the Foundation