Texas History Program
Letter of Inquiry Deadline - Due to the large number of proposals already under consideration, our next window for submitting LOIs will be May 1-June 14, 2024 for possible consideration at our September 21, 2024 Board of Directors meeting. Please note that potential applicants will need to have spoken to the Texas History Program Officer about your proposal prior to May 1, 2024 to be eligible to begin work on an LOI.
TEXAS HISTORY PROGRAM
Texas History Resources
The Summerlee Commission on the Financial Sustainability of History Organizations
Published in 2015, this report analyzes the difficulties that history organizations of all types face in maintaining financial sustainability and includes several how-to chapters for helping organizations to navigate difficult times. The entire report may be downloaded here.
Chapters from the report are listed below and may be downloaded individually:
- Sustainability Report Executive Summary (Downloadable PDF)
- Why History is Difficult to Sustain
- Characteristics of Unsustainable Organizations
- Sustaining History Through Best Practices and New Approaches
- Before You Open It: A Checklist for Planning New Museums in Historic Buildings
- If It Is Time to Close It: Considerations for Dissolving an Organization
- Are you Sustainable Assessment Tool
Texas History Organizations
We’re happy to help—please contact us for more information.